11 Nov Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA): Overview and its Treatments
Many of you might have heard about the term psoriatic arthritis which makes you think ‘are psoriasis and arthritis related’.
Guys, you had a right to doubt as it can be very confusing. Well, to solve all your doubts, we are here, to guide you on what actually psoriatic arthritis is.
- 1 Psoriatic arthritis (PsA)
- 2 What are the 5 Types of Psoriatic Arthritis?
- 3 Psoriatic Arthritis Diagnosis
- 4 What Joints are affected by Psoriatic Arthritis?
- 5 Psoriatic Arthritis without Psoriasis
- 6 Psoriatic Arthritis Treatment
- 7 Psoriasis Cream India
Psoriatic arthritis (PsA)
In simple words, when psoriasis attacks a place in your body where you have swollen joints, it leads to psoriatic arthritis. It combines swollen joints with red itchy scales.
Nonetheless, a psoriasis attack does not cause arthritis or vice versa. It can be a coincidence that both might occur at the same time. But, most people suffer from arthritis then psoriasis. It can be of different types, which will be our next topic of concern.
What are the 5 Types of Psoriatic Arthritis?
- Symmetric PsA-this is a condition where it affects the same part on both sides of your body. It tends to be mild in action.
- Asymmetric PsA-it is just the opposite of asymmetric PsA, where one joint or joints are affected on either side of the body.
- Spondylitis PsA- This type attacks your spine from neck to lower back. It can be painful as most of your body parts are attacked by it.
- Distal interphalangeal predominant PsA- Its effects are seen of distal joints (joints near nails) nails or skin near it.
- Mutilans PsA- this is a severe kind of condition which affects the hands and feet. Its after-effects can be seen in the lower back and neck.
Additional Reading: Top Dermatology Pharmaceutical Companies in India
Psoriatic Arthritis Diagnosis
Every individual who suffers from PsA shows a variety of diagnostic features. Thus, there is no such exact way of the Psoriatic Arthritis Diagnosis. Moreover, here we are going to discuss is details about causes, first signs, and symptoms. This will help you is solving your doubt of ‘are psoriasis and arthritis related?’
Causes of PsA
As of the latest search, there is no specific reason because of which psoriatic arthritis is caused. Nonetheless, researchers have found many common cases where this has passed on in the genes because of the family history with it.
Psoriatic arthritis symptoms
As PsA can affect all of the body, different parts have different symptoms to show. But, the most common ones are-
- Fatigue and weakness always present
- Swollen and stiffed joints
- Painful tendons and muscles
- Red white scaly skin, where blood oozes out in extreme cases
What are the first signs of psoriatic arthritis?
Before actually suffering from PsA you might experience early/first signs in your body. Some people neglect it thinking of some normal issue. But, neglecting them can be risky. Therefore, some of these first signs for PsA are-
- Warm skin near joints with joint stiffness in early morning
- Pitted nails or total nail separation
- Immense pain in the lower back
- Inflammation of eyes
- Swollen fingers and toes
- Getting easily tiresome after small movements
People are also reading: Psoriasis Cream India
What Joints are affected by Psoriatic Arthritis?
As different types of psoriatic arthritis affect different parts of the body, different joints are also affected. Some of the many parts like hands, elbows, knees, fingers, and toes have joints.
Above all, another important joint which can cause immense pain is the vertebrate in spins and neck. When spondylitis PsA, occurs, it majorly affects all the other joints with it.
This kind of interconnection is the evidence for your doubt on ‘are psoriasis and arthritis related’.
Psoriatic Arthritis without Psoriasis
There are certain cases where people have no symptoms of psoriasis but are diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. The reason behind this condition is still unknown to most of the researchers in the medical line.
Nevertheless, there is no cure for these particular conditions, which bring us to our next topic i.e. treatments for PsA.
Psoriatic Arthritis Treatment
The main goal was to decrease the effect of psoriasis on health by treating rashes and inflammations. This can only be possible in some ways.
- Firstly, the use of home remedies- this category includes a change in certain aspects of your lifestyle. For example for diets that include green leafy vegetables and food with higher antioxidants. Other ways are to perform rehab exercises, use hot/cold compressors over the area, and avoid smoking/drinking.
- Secondly, steroidal drugs- are directly injected into the affected joint area to reduce inflammation.
- Thirdly, anti-inflammatory drugs- these medications help reduce pain and swelling. This includes OTC options like Naproxen and Ibuprofen.
- Fourthly, light therapies- where the affected area is exposed to bright light to reduce the psoriasis rashes.
- Lastly- tropical treatments- different cream, ointments, gels, lotions, and sometimes even soaps help in reducing the itchiness of the rashes.
Talking about tropical treatments, one such excellent Psoriasis Treatment Cream in India is Nygelis. It is the best psoriasis cream manufactured by one of the Top Dermatology Pharmaceutical Companies in India i.e. Aldan HealthCare.
Psoriasis Cream India
This particular cream comprises nigella extracts that cool the affected area and reduces inflammation, itchiness, and bleeding.
Nonetheless, most people prefer this who face psoriatic arthritis. Therefore, it should be best for you to try it first. For extra guidance on how are psoriasis and arthritis related, do recommend your doctor before taking any further action.